Monday, January 09, 2006

Plasma Tv Blues Pt. 2

Well after a weekend of watching quite a bit of TV, I have come to realize that my lack of exposure to it contributes to my positive attitude. It seemed that a large percentage (75%+) of the material shown was very depressing. For example I finally saw CSI (after many recommendations) and it was very nice and scientific, but very depressing. I did not really enjoy watching a rogue sex-change surgeon who operated in a storage shed and had patients dying in the middle of the procedure. VERY GRAPHIC. Other then that, I watched shows about the extinction of animals, many heartbreaks, saw a little boy who was killed, people crying because of a mine incident. There is no balance. The only happy shows were infomercials and sporting events (mmmmmmdog racing). That being said, I have been thinking of shock value a lot lately. For example, I find the song “Dance with the Devil” by Immortal Technique to be the one of the most savage and shocking tunes out there. At first I though it would be good if everyone heard this but am no longer convinced. Listen to the tune (warning: extremely explicit, might make you cry), watch CSI. I found both equally shocking but for some reason CSI is infinitely more socially acceptable and broadcast on all TV networks. The song would never be played on any radio station and Wal-Mart would never sell it. Any comments would be appreciated, as I am very confused on the concept of SHOCK VALUE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home